Wednesday 28 October 2015

On A Bed Of Moss And Berries, There Sleep The Woodland Fairies

Morning everyone! A very happy welcome to my newest followers - thank you so much for joining in! :).

Time for another post for Scrapbook Adhesives By 3L® and my today's offering is still very much in an autumnal mode. I really enjoy driving through roads lined up by old trees displaying their full autumnal glory. And I love watching the leaves flirtatiously dancing in the wind :). And the smell of the wood smoke from nearby fields and gardens... hmmm... I always think it's quite a romantic time of year. Would you agree?

Today I have a mixed media wall art for you to enjoy. This project was quite 'involved' so here you will find out more about the medialicious part of it, whereas over at Scrapbook Adhesives By 3L's blog I am focusing on the adhesive side of things :).


This altered shadow box was so much fun to make. It's full of textures, flowers and vintage flavour - I am really happy with the way it turned out :). Despite the fact that it evolved completely from the original plan - but which creative play doesn't? :)

My woodland fairy started its life as a little resin-plaster mask which I was hoping to decorate in a Venetian style with layers of frilly fabrics and lace. I bought this mask ages ago in a charity shop - it had some flourishes painted in bright colours and covered in glitter. But that wasn't the 'look' I was after so I decided to cover it all up with layers of base paint.


The picture above is to show you what the mask looked like before the big make-over :). Inspired by the autumn season I painted the mask yellow. I tried to add some fancy features to the mask with a stenciled butterfly. I also added some stenciling to the background. Click through to read more about the stenciling process and supplies I used.

At that point I thought the mask looked rather tribal and I couldn't find anything else in my stash to help me with my Venetian theme. So I took a different route altogether and decided to go with a woodland theme :).


The mask was going to become my woodland/tree witch. After painting my mask again the texture of the stenciled butterfly still showed through and it looked like little tree bark wrinkles, which I quite liked.

As I wanted the mask to look more like a face, I needed to find eyes for the empty eye sockets. After a long and unsuccessful hunt I decided to try to create the eye lids with my trusty DODZ™-3D. Let me tell you a secret - I can't live without my DODZ™-3D! This stuff is unbeatable in so many ways, waaaaay beyond its primary function of big glue dots :).

With a little help of texture paste to smooth out some parts, the DODZ worked perfectly! That's how my fairy became a sleeping fairy :).


I painted the face with Enchanted Chalky Finish paint (so appropriate for my enchanting fairy! lol) and then gave it a couple of washes with Quinacridone Gold and Dazzling Metallic paints. I rested the fairy's head on a bed of dry flowers, fruits, berries and faux moss (most have been rescued from old charity shop finds) and secured in place with lots of glue.


For the frame I first added heaps of Texture Crackle, layering it quite thick in places and I let it dry overnight. Next I chipped some chunks off, exposing the raw wood of the frame - I wanted to create an old, rough, chipped paint effect. I painted the frame with Enchanted, Coffee Bean, Country Red and Quinacridone Gold, wiping it off in places with a baby wipe. Then I misted it with White Linen and a DIY Gold Mica spray.


Finally I added some gold highlights with a Rub-N-Buff wax.


Supplies:

DODZ™ – 3D; Dodz™ XL; Quick & Easy Dual Tip Glue Pen; Pigment Powders: Gold, Pink, Brown (Donna Salazar with Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L®), DIY Gold pigment powder mist

Media:

Color Wash ink sprays (Ranger) – Red Pepper, Butterscotch, Lettuce; Dylusions White Linen Ink Spray; Vermillion Archival Ink (Ranger)

DecoArt: Dazzling Metallics: Silver Sage, Oyster Pearl; Americana Acrylics: Country Red, Multi-Surface Satin: Muted Gold, Coffee Bean; Chalky Finish: Enchanted; Media Fluid Acrylic Quinacridone Gold; 

DuraClear Ultra Matte Varnish, Texture Crackle, Fabric Stiffener, Vintage Butterfly stencil

Dreamweaver Translucent Embossing Paste; wooden frame, resin-plaster mask, Gold Rub-N-Buff wax

Stampendous – Cling Vintage Letter; The Crafters Workshop Mini Chickenwire Reversed stencil



The cheese cloth head scarf wrapped around the face and the frame was first inked up and then soaked in the Fabric Stiffener.

I would love to know what you think of my Sleeping Fairy :). Please also check the stenciling and adhesive details over at Scrapbook Adhesives' blog - and I would really appreciate it if you had a comment to leave a comment over there as well :).

Thank you all so much for all your kind words - your comments are always so appreciated! Have a fabulous week my friends!

Big crafty hugs

Asia King Blog signature_small

Follow on Bloglovin
♥ Follow Me On Bloglovin'

Challenges for this project:
Country View Challenges #32 - Add some texture
JUG #316 - Hexagons
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Wrap It Up
Rhedd's Creative Spirit Altered Art Challenge October - Anything Goes
Fashionable Stamping Challenges #104 - Changing Seasons
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Throwback (inspired by Autumn is in the Air challenge)
Try It On Tuesdays - Lots of Layers

11 comments:

Nancy said...

You are a true artist! Enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the process! Thanks for joining us!

Anonymous said...

This is sensational!
There is a story unfolding before my eyes and I am captivated by it and the colours which perfectly represent a woodland in Autumn.
What I applaud is you sharing a step in the process which you actually altered. Sometimes, I believe, that we can easily fool ourselves into believing that other artists know from the outset what the end result of the art will be whereas the reality is, at times, twists and turns along the way.
Wishes
Lynne

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

I agree with the sentiments of Lynne above. There is a lovely story which we, the viewers are able to interpret as we will.
The mask now has an ethereal quality to it.
Thank you for linking to Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month.

Sandra Wright. said...

A truly beautiful project...I so love this...
Thank you so much for joining us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit...x

Sue said...

This is amazing Asia, full of wonderful textures and lovely Autumnal colours, and I LOVE how you created your sleeping fairy! Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts. Sue xx

Ros Crawford said...

Thud!!! My jaw just hit the floor! this is amazing!! What more can I say!

Tracy Welham said...

A truly stunning & creative piece! Creative Blessings, Tracy x

Unknown said...

Oh oh oh this is heaven! What a beautiful piece my lovely, how you've created such depth and texture is inspiring to say the least xx

Craftyfield said...

Involved indeed! There is so much going on and so much depth to this artwork. Fascinating and beautiful in equal measure...

Emma Williams said...

What can I say, Asia ~ this is just stunning! There is so much beautiful detail and so much texture, it's a truly wonderful work of art! Thank you so much for sharing your project and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :) xx

Nigel said...

Hello stranger! :)

Haven't been around for a while, but starting to get back in the swing of things, and glad to see you're still making such wonderful creations.

.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... All content, except where stated (including text, photographs and designs), is copyright of Asia King (Creative Spell Designs). I share my artwork for personal inspiration only. I don’t mind if you copy any of my designs for your own personal use, providing you give me credit by referring to my blog. You may not however copy my designs and photographs for contests and publications entries (online or otherwise) or to sell in either handmade or printed form. You may not copy my designs and photographs for advertising & commercial purposes, without my prior permission. Thank you for your understanding.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Craft Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory blog button flower Photobucket Crafty Blogs

Let's Tweet!

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Under a creative spell, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena